MomZenArtist on Instagram

Friday, November 16, 2012

Diva challenge 95: Mickey

This week the Diva welcomed guest artist Courtney to kick us off with a Disney-inspired challenge.  Courtney shared Disney's "Steamboat Willie" short that was released in November of 1928.  An icon was born!

It's been fun to see how everyone has interpreted this challenge--from filled in Mickeys to Mickie, Minnie, or steamboat-inspired patterns.

I had a bit of a rough time starting this one because I wasn't sure where to start.  I love that the Zentangle® method is so freeing and isn't restricted by traditional art techniques and rules.  Sometimes I feel inspired to use a shape or a stencil to create my initial "string" to fill/surround with tangle patterns.  For some reason, this week, I was stumped for a few days.  I loved watching Steamboat Willie and thinking about ideas, but I felt a bit stuck with my creativity.  I took the opportunity to work on some other pieces to get my creative juices flowing.

Then I started to get an idea!  I traced a coaster and round block to create Mickey's head shape.  I immediately went at those ears with Bunzo, and I even colored the pattern in finally.  I thought Bunzo looked Mickey ear shaped.  :-)  Crescent Moon seemed perfect for Mickey's brow line.  I kept seeing the red associated with the more modern Mickey so I filled in the background with some red Printemps.  I loved doing this part!  I didn't want to fill in the whole face, so I opted for eyes filled with Marasu.

When I finished and held my piece up, I realized that all of my tangles resembled Mickey's ears.  It's fun when an idea encourages the use of particular patterns or shapes.

With all that buildup, here's my Mickey Diva challenge:


4 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love the curvy shapes of all the patterns you have chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! Great fun and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome, emily! and your pattern choices are spot-on perfect. i love those marasu eyes :)

    ReplyDelete