MomZenArtist on Instagram

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013: I Resolve....

It's a new year and a chance for new beginnings.  While many of us, myself included, opt for the usual pledges to eat better and to exercise knowing that it won't happen, I've decided not to do that this year.  I'm already working on improving my eating habits and have been feeling so much better.  One of the main reasons I feel so great is that I have my Zentangle® art.  I know, it sounds corny, but it really helps me relax and feel centered.  One of my colleagues told me that she can tell it's helping me handle stressful situations better too.

So what should I resolve to do in this new year?  I'm already creating and trying to blog regularly.  I'm already trying new things with my tangling--new patterns, colors, formats, classes, etc.  I am in love with creating and teaching Zentangle® art so it's a given that I'll keep going with that.

I know!  I used to love scrapbooking.  I have an entire room filled with beautiful scrapbooking supplies and photos just waiting to be honored.  I've been pleased with how many items I've been able to use in my Zentangle journey, but most of my stash takes up space instead of bringing me joy like it should.

My problem was scrapbooking turned into a stressful hobby.  Instead of remembering the events as I glued and coordinated, I agonized over where everything should go on a page.  I expected every piece to be perfect.  Striving for perfection prevented me from creating and from enjoying my craft.

Thanks to the Zentangle® method, I have learned to create without fear, pressure, or stress.  Rick and Maria say that "Anything is possible, one stroke at a time."®  I truly believe and apply this philosophy to much of my life already.

Now it's time to take scrapbooking one photo, one layout at a time.  I resolve to apply what I've learned while creating Zentangle art to my scrapbooking.  To do this, I will set aside some time each month to enjoy scrapbooking.  It's not about finishing or having a perfect album.  It will be about taking the time to play with color and design while remembering the fun and crazy days spent with my toddler.  Maybe if I do some tangling on my layouts they'll be a bit more relaxing too!  I'll share some of my "scraptangling" success here too.  :-)

What do you want to do in 2013?  Take it one stroke, or one step at a time, and it might not seem so impossible.

And what would this epic post be without some artwork?

Here are the remaining two "kickstarter" tiles inspired by fellow CZT Sandy Hunter.  These were fun to do and are a great way to get unstuck.  Even while creating Zentangle art, I get a little stuck when I can't decide on the next pattern to try.  I love the fact that I've completely learned to stop being a perfectionist with my artwork.  I messed up on the first tile below, but I just went with it and modified the pattern a bit to make it fit.

#2:  Printemps, Kandysnake, Quiltz, and N'Zeppel - I use two of these patterns regularly, but the others were new to me.  I goofed on Kandysnake at first but recovered nicely enough.  What a fun pattern that is!  I couldn't stop using it.


#1:  Featherfall, Peanuckle, Jetties, and Chillion - Featherfall was the only new one for me in this batch, and I loved it!  It's a great flowing, feathery, billowy pattern.  I adore Peanuckle after learning it at my CZT training.  I played with the shading on Chillion a bit to try to make it more interesting.  



No comments:

Post a Comment