MomZenArtist on Instagram

Monday, January 28, 2013

Strung Up or Strung Out?

Yes, I'm still awake.  it's 2:31 am, and I just had to post my other piece since I finished it.  I created this week's Diva challenge tile while catching up on Downton Abbey.  Tangling plus British dramas might be a dangerous combination for my sleep habits.

For this week's challenge, we were to use a funky string with points off in various directions.  I copied the string in the morning but didn't get to tangle until the evening.  I wasn't sure where to start.  My initial instinct was to fill all of those lovely triangle shapes with Paradox.  Sensing that this might turn into another Paradox monotangle, I looked for some pattern ideas.  I love to flip through books, Pinterest, and my past work when I get stuck.  Tangler's block is just like writer's block.

A new place I go when I get stuck is to visit CZT Sandy Hunter's site at Tanglebucket Studio.  Sandy has created kickstarters with four randomly selected patterns from a jar.  As usual, I had only used two of these patterns before, so this was perfect to get me unstuck.

I played with Verve first.  I can't believe how close my lines are!  I was in the zone on this one.  Next came some Dust Bunnies and Purk (a fave).  I've used Beadlines before as a flowing tassel.  For some reason, the lines of the challenge string kept calling to me, so I used the Beadlines to fill in much of the string with a few extra tendrils hanging off.

So here's my efficient tile combining two challenges in one:



It's 2:41 am and time for bed.  My husband is going to kill me.  Maybe it's a good thing he doesn't keep up with my blog.  :-)

16 comments:

  1. Very cool zentangle. I like your beads on the string and the repetition of tangles in the spaces. (It's 2:00 am where I am.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Emily. And if he does read your blog? Better say something nice today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! You should stay up more often. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a little of both! Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a morning drawing , remind me of spider web with dew drops. Beautiful !.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. Love the tangles, the beaded string, the shading and the white space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beaded string is a nice contrast to the other tangles used. Is a nice way to use the string.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful,i see it moving and turning around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha! the part with the husband, killing and doesn't keep up with the blog sound VERY familiar to me! also to enjoying an audiobook while tangle... :) Best medicine/drog ever! and i like your work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a great idea to tangle the string itself! why didn't i ever think of that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tile is very beautiful! I like how you do the same tangle twice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your line work is great, I love your piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bee-yoo-tiful! Sure do like your choice of tangle patterns. :oD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your process - I love to hear and be inspired by how people decide which tangles to use - I'll check out Sandy's kickstarters! I 'specially like your verve - very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work,I love the beadlines

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job-I love how you used the kickstarter patterns--still need to play with those! Great piece!

    ReplyDelete