MomZenArtist on Instagram

Monday, January 28, 2013

Enough is Enough

How do you know when enough is enough?

  • When you run out of time?
  • When you get bored?
  • When the world tells you so?
  • When you don't have the energy?

What if you got to decide when enough was enough?

Although I find the Zentangle® method of creating artwork relaxing and enjoyable, I have learned that I cannot work on a project before bed.  Here I am at 2am having just finished two projects that inspired me, and I am wide awake.  I was too excited to share my creations with you.

Erin at The Bright Owl challenged Zendala lovers with a new template this week.  Instead of working on a Zendala tile, I opted to use my brand new Strathmore Toned Tan paper.  I traced my template, and went at it.  This paper arrived the same day as Erin's new challenge, so it seemed meant to be!

I had an amazing time watching the tangles come to life when I shaded with my new Prismacolor pencils.  The white highlights in Purk are much more impressive in person.

I completed the entire center and was in love with my work.  Was it enough?  Was it finished?  Was I satisfied?  Enough wasn't enough.

Sometimes I worry that in wanting to do more, I may go overboard and not like the end result.  Even as a CZT, I have to remind myself that the Zentangle method isn't really about the end result--it's about the journey.

I stepped back, put the piece down for a few hours, and looked at it again.  It wasn't enough.  I wasn't done playing with this piece yet.  I drew the circle around the inner Zendala thinking I'd fill in the full circle.  That wasn't enough.  I was so in love with this new paper that I wanted to do something different.  I thought about doing a background tangle to make the Zendala pop in the center.  I considered N'Zeppel but ended up with Ibex.  It's not a pattern I use often, but I had a blast doing it (hence being up at 2am).  I shaded Ibex, added some shading around the inner circle, and voila!


Hmm, maybe one more post before bed....



12 comments:

  1. It was absolutely worth your (bed) time. It's lovely and the white is Purk is really popping up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, I enlarged it to have a closer look at your masterpiece - Super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work. I do like your white on the purk pearls. Make them really popping out. I have to try that too. The tangle at the background is great too. Nice work on colored paper. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So striking! I enjoyed your thoughtful post...I have some of the same issues. Also, your Ibex looks fantastic! I struggle with that one...it's tricky! I think I need to get some of the toned paper. That's one thing I don't happen to have in my very extensive art supply stash! Thank you for sharing your art and your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job. It is fun to try new things and expand on what we normally do. Was the white highlighting one of the Prism pencils or was it a white charcoal pencil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This was the white Prismacolor pencil. I used white, sienna brown, black, and dark brown.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. This was the white Prismacolor pencil. I used white, sienna brown, black, and dark brown.

      Delete
  6. Well, after all that, your zendala turned out beautifully! I also love the white highlights on the pearls. It is hard to know when you're finished. Sometimes I really have to hold myself back in order to leave some white space. But, I do find tangling relaxing and do it every night before I go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's difficult not to try so hard for the end product - most of us are at least a bit competitive, and also perfectionists - why else would we choose such a detailed pastime?
    I keep hearing about "the process" and am constantly reminding myself of that but....
    Anyway, your Zendala is fabulous - LOVE, LOVE your tangle for the diamond fill. Ibex is not a tangle I'm familiar with but will certainly look it up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also struggle with what is enough. Thanks for sharing your process and your beautiful result. That is simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the background it is outstanding! The zendala is perfectly placed and is also beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you just love new toys?! This is wonderful, your Purk totally pops and I love the Ibex background, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete