MomZenArtist on Instagram

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Come Inside My Tangled Garden

After badly scraping my heel today while trying to calm a nervous toddler, I decided I deserved some much needed tangling!  I pulled out my Toned Gray paper and set off on a new gardening adventure.  

This piece started with the gate.  I wanted to explore the idea of an overgrown garden that can't be contained even when locked up.  I love how the shading on the door came out!  

Do you like my little spider and web?

I'm really loving these gardens.  They are beyond meditative for me.  I draw a stem or leaf, and just let it all go.  I don't even notice where my flowers or other patterns are going.  I let them grow wherever they want to explore.  It's fun and freeing to let art happen without worrying about the consequences.


4 comments:

  1. Magical, cannot wait for the class next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. Is gorgeous. I looked at all your tangles and I so love your work. I saved several to my Z file for future reference! I hope that's OK - if not, say the word. I LOVE your leaf on the yellow background. How'd you do that background? Also that one of the trees is AMAZING. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ann! I'm glad that you're enjoying my art. I think it's impossible to share online with the belief that no one would save or reuse my art. I just hope that people give me the credit as I try to do with all of the artists who have inspired me. I'm touched that you felt inspired by me. :-)

    That leaf has a watercolor background. I learned the technique from the fabulously talented Suzanne Binnie (http://www.culhavenstudios.com/). It's an easy salt technique with tangling over the top. Wow, talk about killing your pen! :-) It has a lovely look and feel when it's done.

    I was pretty impressed by my trees too. That was a real deviation for me, and I'm glad I took the road less travelled. It's a stencil, ink, and tangling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add that I keep inspiration books and boards on Pinterest of pieces that have inspired me!

      Delete