MomZenArtist on Instagram

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Do. Or Do Not. There is No Try.


It may be a bit extreme for me to be quoting Yoda, but there it is.  One thing I've learned throughout my Zentangle® journey is to not be afraid of doing new things.  I love how freeing this method is and how it allows me to practice a wide variety of things--all while keeping me sane!

Back in February, I created a piece to submit for a quote/art book by Lesley Riley.  I just learned that my piece did not make the cut for the print edition but may be included in an online collection of artwork.  I'm a little disappointed, but I'm more pleased with myself for doing something new.  This was my first major art submission, and I'm proud of myself for submitting!  I didn't just think about it.  I didn't just talk about it.  I did it.  I created a piece that I think is really cool, and I sent it in without any expectation.  Congratulations to all of the artists who were selected!  I can't wait to see the submissions.

The quote from which I found my inspiration is from my favorite author:

If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. George Eliot


I interpreted this quote as meaning we cannot handle all of the chaos of life and that we live in our own shelters just to survive.  I immediately thought of rose-colored glasses.  The tangles represent the noise or chaos, and we use the glasses to protect ourselves.  I can't believe I drew glasses!  I put my glasses on my knee, and sketched them.  Not bad for someone who can't draw a thing.

I love this piece even if it didn't get selected for the book.  As a reformed perfectionist, I think it's very important to do things even if they may not work out.  All that matters is I'm pleased with my artwork and proud of myself for trying.  I'm not discouraged, and I'll keep trying!

2 comments:

  1. That is absolutely gorgeous, Emily! The glasses, the tangles, the quote - all perfectly perfect! Love your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for putting yourself out there - it's like baring your soul, and makes you vulnerable, but the important thing is you did it.

    ReplyDelete