MomZenArtist on Instagram

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Bravery: Letter Edition

I am not fond of my handwriting.  After years of note-taking and scribbling, I still am not used to my writing.  In my scrapbooking days, it was torture if I had to manually write a journal entry; I always typed them.

That's why I'm so surprised that I'm starting to play more with my lettering and even enjoying my handwriting all thanks to my Zentangle® practice.  The philosophy of Zentangle--taking it "one stroke at a time--is really transforming my entire life!  

I enjoy practicing letters and playing with different pens and papers.  It's fun to see which swirls and lines I can create.  Like my Zentangle art, it's handmade, doesn't have to be perfect, and it's a reflection of who I am and what I'm feeling at that moment.  It's all part of my artistic journey filled with new lessons and adventures each day.  And practice makes it more fun!

Here is my entry for Sakura Color Products of America's quotation contest.  The challenge was to submit a favorite quote using Sakura products.  I used a black Zendala tile and the white and Metallic Gelly Roll pens.  I love how color shimmers on the black tiles.

I look at this piece, and I smile.  I don't immediately dislike my handwriting.  Instead, I think about how fun this was to create, how colorful it is, and how many more ideas I'll get to try in the future.  What a change!  

I often like to ask myself, "What's the worst that can happen?"  If I don't like a piece, I can start a new one.  If I don't feel confident with a tangle pattern or technique, I need only to practice some more until I get my groove. I find that I am able to pick out one area or one pattern that I truly love even if the rest of the piece was practice.  I think we're rarely perfect at something off the bat, but we expect ourselves to be.  Thanks to my Zentangle practice, I've learned not to be so hard on myself and to accept each creation as it comes.  It might be perfect, or it might need work.  It might be a jumping off point for my next creation.  Whatever it is, I find something that I like about it and treasure the fact that I can create beautiful art each day. 

The quote is from one of my favorite book, The Mill on the Floss, by George Eliot.  Having a young daughter now makes this quote resonate with me that much more.






No comments:

Post a Comment