MomZenArtist on Instagram

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Tangled Birthday

I had the good fortune of being invited to teach at a birthday party for an adorable 7-year-old girl and her friends recently.

The girls explored tangling on traditional tiles and on scratch art with animal stencils.  I think the colorful scratch art was the hit of the party.

As always, I find so much inspiration from watching my students learn to tangle.  These girls were amazing to watch.  Each one played with the patterns, made up her own, and evolved patterns into new and interesting looks.

I love how fearless kids can be about trying new things.  The birthday girl looked at some of my artwork and immediately started recreating the patterns that she liked without instruction.  I hope she will continue to find patterns and inspiration all around her.

One of the girls burst with enthusiasm when she realized that some of the patterns reminded her of the Cutie Marks on her favorite My Little Ponies.  I keep smiling just thinking about her excitement.

One of my favorite moments from the party happened during the instruction of Pingline by Sandy Steen Bartholomew.  This penguin-looking pattern is fun to create but generated an unexpected response.  The mom and her smiling 5-year-old daughter noticed that the initial stages of Pingline looked just like Yoda!  First, I love that a 5-year-old adores Star Wars.  Second, it is always fun to find shapes and hidden ideas inside patterns, but it's even more fun when they remind you of things you truly love.  I hope she continues to draw Pingline-inspired Yodas all over her artwork!

This same girl was concerned when she first started her scratch art because she had colored in a part and didn't like it.  With some encouragement, she continued and filled the rest of her piece with patterns and other filled in areas.  By the end, she was beaming with smiles and said that it didn't even matter that she had colored in the first section.  I love how forgiving the Zentangle® method can be for all ages!

Check out the fun scratch art that the girls created:


I was thrilled to hear that the girls kept tangling after I left.  I hope they were as inspired as I was.  What a fun way to spend an afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment