MomZenArtist on Instagram

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Getting to Know Charlie


This week's Diva challenge was of the UMT (Use My Tangle) variety.  We were challenged to use the pattern Charlie created by Erin Olson, aka the Bright Owl.

This is an easy pattern with a lot of possibilities for tangleations and fun.  How could a pattern inspired by Charlie Brown's shirt not be fun?

I used the new Zentangle Renaissance tile for this piece because I'm enjoying playing with different colors and effects even if they don't always scan that well.

I started with creating two bands of Charlie in the middle.  Next I added some bold black stripes for a lot of contrast behind the brown.  I added Paradox inside Charlie for some delicate line work against the black.  Even though I like white space, the white gaps seemed a bit too bare to me, so I filled in with some Jetties.  I have a feeling that every Renaissance tile I create will have 'Nzeppel in the background.  I love this pattern anyway, but I like how it looks even more like stones with the white highlights.

I will be honest.  I did not like this tile one bit when I created it.  I loved making it and playing and filling in the different areas.  I typically enjoy trying new patterns.  I just wasn't thrilled with the outcome, but I did like it more after I added the heavy shading around the center blob.

What I love about the Zentangle® Method, is that it doesn't matter if I am passionate about this particular piece.  This was a small tile and a great mini canvas for experimentation.  Do we all get things right the first time?  Do we always master something new when we first do something?  Let's think back.  Were you nervous when you first got behind the wheel of a car, or did you just hop in and drive beautifully?  And even if you know how to drive, do you ever get nervous about driving to a new area?  

When my daughter (or all of us!) first walked, did she just stand up and go, or did she stumble and fall on her rear end a million times?  Even now that she's an expert walker, jumper, and dancer, she still approaches some new situations with caution.  Good thing or she'd dance off the stairs!

Sometimes learning new things, even if we have some experience, can produce unexpected or undesired results.  I think it's important to remember that life is a learning opportunity.  Just because the first try at something might not be to our standards (gasp, am I showing my perfectionistic tendencies?), it doesn't mean we give up.  

With tangling, we can always pick up another tile and start again.  I never let it get me down when I create a piece and feel "eh" about it.  Instead I just feel inspired to try again and to practice more.  Sometimes I never feel fully comfortable with a pattern or a technique.  As long as I enjoy my journey and the relaxation I achieve while tangling, that's all I think really matters.

I say, tangle on!

16 comments:

  1. Oh yes, tangle on, Emily - it's a super tile with lots of interest and a great and unique take on Charlie. I love it.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie. It was fun to keep adding things to this one.

      Delete
  2. Different and fun....love the tan tile and white accents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think the tan tiles are quite interesting because the white highlights really pop (even if they don't on the blog photos).

      Delete
  3. Lovely way for using Charlie! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wanted to try something different with it.

      Delete
  4. I bought a t-shirt for my niece who is going to art school. It says Earth without art is just "eh" I don't think your tangle is "eh" perhaps, like Chuck, himself it is just under appreciated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate my art even if I don't like it very much. It's all a part of my journey. Every step, every tile, every stroke represents who I am as an artist at that very moment. Each step is important and helps me learn and grow. I love that about tangling!

      Delete
  5. Like your jetties tangled in the spaces of Charlie. Always like 'Nzeppel any where but looks great as a background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donald. I think 'Nzeppel is one of my favorite backgrounds as well as one of my favorite patterns.

      Delete
  6. I am in awe of this Emily, it's just so gorgeous. I actually stopped by to say what a fantastic article on you on Home News - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lila, it's such an honor to hear that. I am in awe of your work on a constant basis! Thanks for the article feedback too. That was so fun to do and such a treat to have Zentangle highlighted so nicely in the news.

      Delete