MomZenArtist on Instagram

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

And the Rain, Rain, Rain Fell Down, Down, Down.

Since my life is a Disney movie, I must quote a favorite song from Winnie the Pooh in my title.

This week's Diva challenge was an easy one for me--playing with the official Zentangle® pattern Rain.  I like this pattern and think it can be a good one for tangleations or variations.  The construction is fairly easy, and it's a wonderful way to relax with some very simple auras and lines.

I picked up my tile and immediately pictured a Rain-styled border.  I drew the structure but didn't fill in the triangular shapes until I saw how the rest of my tile developed.  I then knew I had to draw one of my favorite patterns, which starts out with a mini Rain, Cat-Kin by Mimi Lempart, CZT.  Next I filled in some big pearls in my border and loved how those came out!

I think I should have stopped there.  I'm not always good at knowing when a piece is done.  I know it doesn't matter as long as I am having fun and enjoying my sense of relaxed focus and creativity.  I think I got hung up on the fact that I was using a Renaissance Zentangle® tile and thought I should manage to fit some brown in too.  There are no rules, Emily!  After drawing my first brown background line, I knew I'd taken it one line too far for my taste.  I was having fun exploring, so I kept going (that's a good thing!).  I added more skinny Rain and filled the centers with tiny lines.  Still not knowing when enough was enough, I thought it needed more contrast and added some white Rain bolts without the aura since the white pen was thick enough.

I think the piece is interesting, but I still wish I had trusted my instinct to stick to the border and Cat-Kin.  Maybe I could have created an inner border with Rain in the brown pen to satisfy my idea that the Renaissance tile had to have brown.  To quote my daughter, I was just being silly.

I sometimes have to remind myself to let the rain wash over my preconceived notions sometimes and just let the tile take me where it wants to go.  Or when I do let it take me, like in this tile, I hope I can  remember to enjoy the journey even if my ideas get a little wet along the way.

35 comments:

  1. Oh I love the way you filled in the rain with 'pearls' or maybe droplets of dew..?? Love it no matter what they are... very charming... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should totally call them dewdrops instead of pearls. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love your catkin. And the tile is perfect as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE that pattern! It's so fun to create and to watch it puff and bloom on its own. I don't think there's ever a "perfect" in life or in tangling, but I'll accept pretty good or enjoyable any day. :-)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful - and I don't think you've overdone it at all. I read your description before I scrolled down to look at it and I was expecting there to be no background space at all but there's still lots! - I think it's nicely balanced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do like leaving white space (tan in this case) now. I look back to my early tiles and am shocked by how differently I tangle now. I think that we develop our own style and artistry as we practice, and leaving white space was a big one for me early on.

      Delete
  4. This is super, what a great way to use the tangle Rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tile, the Cat-Kin pop's beautifully with the white gel pen puffs. I think your tile if perfect as is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I had colored the puffs with a white colored pencil, but when I saw the white Rain darts in the background, I wanted to add more pop to puffs.

      Delete
  6. Your rain tile is very elegant and delicate . Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. Funny rain, and your Catkins are awesome bright.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you kept going. It is beautiful just the way it is. I especially love the Catkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's one of my favorite patterns!

      Delete
  9. I like your idea of doing the rain tangle as the border. I think it looks good. The brown bolts are good and so are the white. The only thing that I think is maybe not put in the piece that looks like pussy willows. And just added a few more white bolts and brown bolts in its place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting idea. It would have been tricky since I did the border then the Cat-Kin next. :-) Those were my two favorite parts of the tile. I may do another one to see how it comes out.

      Delete
  10. The tile is beautiful. I like the Rain border and the Catkin is very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donald. I like those two parts the best. I am considering doing another tile with just those and some minor enhancements instead of the center bolts. I'm still not quite settled with this one, I guess.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful and artful. I love the visual effect you created, and how you put "rain" to use in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow! Beautiful! I like the white touches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is gorgeous and you stopped at the perfect moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just perfect - so very, very beautiful! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's beautiful with the white and brown. Don't you hate that though, trying to decide when it's done? I've started taking photos of mine when I think they might be done but decide to add something else, before I add it. That way if I don't like the way it turns out I still have a photo of the stage I liked the most.

    One of the hardest things about Zentangle for me has been allowing things to not be perfect. I guess it's the Zen part I still need the most work on.

    ReplyDelete