MomZenArtist on Instagram

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Cinderella Swirls

My daughter has been bitten by the princess bug and has started her journey into the world of Disney. After falling in love with Frozen and The Little Mermaid, she wanted to try watching Cinderella. I had not seen the movie in a decade or two and was surprised by some of he animation. Sure, it wasn't nearly as impressive as Frozen in storytelling, animation, visual effects, or music, but I enjoyed it in different ways.

It is hard to be impressed with older animation when faced with the computer-animated beauty of a movie like Frozen, but older films remind us of earlier advances. Each movie, Disney or otherwise was remarkable in its day.

Movies make us nostalgic. They can also make us see new sources of beauty--like tangles.

While watching Cinderella, I couldn't help notice all of the swirled patterns used throughout the story. The railings in all of the staircases had a serpentine structure. Cinderella's pumpkin coach blossoms with swirls and curls as vines transform into wheels in an elegant and flowing fashion. And of course, Cinderella mops the massive tile floor covered in the epitome of tile patterns, Florz. You can catch a glimpse of some of the images on the Cinderella photo gallery page.

When I saw this week's Diva challenge was to play with circles, I immediately had to tangle Cinderella's carriage. I drew three circles for the carriage and two wheels. I tangled in white and filled with colored pencils. Crescent Moon seemed fitting in a circle-inspired piece.

I love how tangling can be random and evolving or can be inspired by something specific.

I am drawing my magic want for some tangling magic for you... Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo!


10 comments:

  1. This has the fairy feeling .... a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was why I immediately grabbed a black tile. :-) I knew it would lend itself to the fantasy aspect.

      Delete
  2. Lovely piece. I loved it even before I read your blog and realized it was Cincerella's carriage. It works both ways for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice take on this challenge. I like your Scrawlz wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donald. I was a bit literal with this one and knew I wanted something that resembled vines for the wheels. Scrawlz is a great pattern!

      Delete
  4. Oh how fun, Cinders carriage! Bet your daughter loves this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. She loved it! She keeps asking to see it and is proud that I know how to draw Cinderella's carriage.

      Delete
  5. Cinderella would have been pleased to ride to the ball in your carriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And mine won't turn back into a pumpkin at midnight. :-)

      Delete