MomZenArtist on Instagram

Monday, May 12, 2014

Punzel, Punzel, Let Down Your Hair

This week's Diva challenge was right up my alley (not just because we started watching Disney's Tangled (no pun intended) with my daughter for the first time).

The Diva, Laura, challenged us to create a duotangle, a term coined on the Diva's blog, using the patterns Well and Punzel.  Until recently, Punzel was on my do-not-tangle list. The pattern just didn't click with me.  I often made the center chain, the Chainging, too elongated so the braided sections would look skinny and strange to me.  I couldn't figure out how to make the beautifully flowing chains that others were creating.

There's no right or wrong with tangling, but sometimes, I think there can be discomfort with patterns.  Like I encourage my students, I try to let go of the idea of what a pattern "should" look like and focus on how I feel while creating it.  I find that I get a little frustrated by patterns that look better when they have a bit of precision.  I have learned, however, that my frustration can create a mental block that prevents me from exploring certain patterns like Punzel.

Thanks to fellow CZT Pixie Russell, I learned how to find my own comfort with the pattern.  I look forward to exploring it more to see what else I can do with it.  I know I shouldn't compare my art or my process to others, and I truly believe that practice and eliminating barriers can work wonders when I'm stuck.

Sometimes, we all can use a little help from a talented CZT to help us get unstuck and to help the tangles flow again.  Thanks, Pixie!




26 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and your words are so true....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice... Love, light and peace....Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all three variations of Well. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a fun pattern to play with, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. You have it now. I agree with all that you said. I'm glad you pushed through with this difficult tangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad I did too! I love how a little perseverance and help can get us through a tricky tangle.

      Delete
  5. Whee! You did it! Your punzel looks great! I am still struggling making it even... the help from Tangle U didn't stick for me... I guess mine are always going to be wonky! :) But I did have fun with it. Have a great week. I am enjoying your goodies. Magnet is on the fridge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonky is one of my favorite words when I tangle and teach! As long as you had fun, that's all that really matters. :-) I'm glad you're enjoying your prize. Did you use the pencil holder? I have one that I use sometimes.

      Delete
  6. Looks great!. You have worked hard to get this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! You make it work beautifully - and I love how you linked 'Tangled' in...a bit of word plaiting too! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my life is a Disney movie, it's just where my brain is these days. I thought it was pretty timely though. :-) I'm glad someone got the joke. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  8. very lovely. I like the bit of colouring in the centre tile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Punzel was also on my do not do list - you sure have perfected it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Lila, you have tangles on a do not do list? I'm shocked! It just goes to show that we can all struggle with patterns at times, but what's important is whether or not we let that struggle distract or defeat us. Thanks.

      Delete