MomZenArtist on Instagram

Monday, June 16, 2014

My New Pattern - YAH

While sitting in the waiting room at my doctor’s office, I noticed an interesting pattern on the chair. I thought it looked like Keeko, Nekton, Wheelz, and Hollibaugh were all thrown into a blender. Four tangle patterns walked into a bar....
Anyway, I kept staring at the pattern and figured I’d try to draw it. There is a repeating pattern in the fabric eventually, but every time I tried to figure it out, I lost my place. Then I decided to just try it without worrying about the repeat. Isn’t that how we should develop our patterns anyway—without worry?

I started with randomly placed lines around my piece. Some were in twos, threes, or fours. Some were straight, and some were curved, and the length varied. Next I went in and filled in the larger gaps with additional sets of parallel lines, either straight or curved, mixing up the direction and number of lines. I tried not to worry about where the lines went and just filled them wherever the lines wanted to explore. I filled in the negative spaces with dark ink and shaded the paths where they went underneath others, Hollibaugh style.

When it was done, I really loved how it looked. I think the pattern looks like a basket that someone dropped or squished. It’s not a mistake, it’s now just a loosely woven item still capable of greatness.

While tangling the chair pattern, I kept thinking about the people sitting in waiting rooms every day all over the world. As I drew my lines, I thought about people sitting in these very chairs or ones like them. People were waiting to see the doctor to heal them, to answer questions, to provide solace, or to tell it like it is. Doctors’ offices are crossroads. We are waiting for clean bills of health or good news, and sometimes, we are waiting for confirmation of the worst. We may be facing fears ourselves or for our loved ones. Either way, waiting rooms are places that appear sterile and stoic while buzzing with the thoughts, worries, hopes, and fears of countless patients and family members who have sat there temporarily. So much goes on in those rooms while we wait. So much changes after we leave the waiting rooms of life.

As I drew my lines, I tried not to think about where my pen was going. I drew two lines this way then some curved lines going a different way. There was no rhyme, no reason, no sense, no answers. Like those in the waiting room, there may not be an easy answer for where their lines or paths are headed.

I decided that my tangle looked like a wonky city map. I pictured a directory trying to help people find their way out of the gridlock.

page1image24840
I am calling this pattern YAH, or, You Are Here. We might not know where we are much of the time, and when we’re worried about our health or that of our loved ones, we could probably use a directory to help us a bit.

Wherever you are in life—in your dreams, laughter, or worries—you are here. 


24 comments:

  1. Love, LOVE this Emily! Beautiful, thoughtful post - marvelous new tangle! I just spent 20 minutes figuring out how to save it to my new iMac!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, thank you so much! First, it's nice to know that someone reads my blog. :-) I am honored that you enjoyed my pattern. I've only created a few, and this is one I really like and am proud of. It probably had something to do with the emotional experience at the doctor's office too (all is well!). If you play with YAH, I'd love to see what you come up with! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I really love this pattern - I am saving the instructions on paper, something I only do for patterns that I know I'm going to have to work at to really become successful, but that are worth the effort! Thank you for working this out, and for your thoughts while tangling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jakki! I am impressed you went to so much effort. If you have any trouble, I can send you any of the images. :-) Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Fun one! It also looks as if a bit of Mak-rah-mee got thrown into the mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that one too. I think this pattern looks like several jumped into a centrifuge together. :-). It reminds me of a squished basket.

      Delete
  4. Wheee! Go Emily! I can't wait to have some time next week to try this out! Now, I am waiting for you to deconstruct those pants of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I'm official now! Hehe. I can't do those pants--that's why I offered a prize. Barb Gill did step outs, but you have to think to get it to work. :-)

      Delete
  5. I usually add a few lines then build off of each. Sometimes I start with one set of lines and just keep building off of those. It's pretty flexible! Don't think too much. Just choose different numbers of lines each time and alternate straight/curved sometimes. :-). There's no rhyme or reason to where they all go. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw this today and had to try it out. Instead of using black in any spaces, I just drew in more lines! Not sure if I can enter a link here, but there's an ATC posted on my blog. http://janjo33.blogspot.com/2014/07/yah.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, thank you so much for sharing your art with me! I am honored that people are using my pattern in their practice. I love how you filled in the negative spaces with lines. There are so many variations possible for this pattern.

      Delete
  7. I am going to try this one as soon as someone comes and cleans up my table so I have room to draw. :)

    I liked what you wrote as much as I like the cool tangle, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ami. I tangle on the back of a tissue box very often when I don't have a good surface. :-) I love how Zentangle® tiles are so small!

      Delete
  8. Thanks Emily, I was attracted to your sensational YAH as soon as I saw it. Wonderful post, love your description of how you developed YAH :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, thank you very much. I had a wonderful time playing with this pattern and thinking about it.

      Delete
    2. Hi Emily, Although I am clearly late to this party I wanted to let you know that this tangle really spoke to me from several perspectives. As a tangler I love the look and as a too frequent visitor to the 'waiting rooms' at medical facilities too.
      Thanks for the tangle and the lovely post too.
      your fellow CZT, Bette Abdu

      Delete
    3. Thank you Bette! I'm glad you enjoyed YAH. I think it's one of those funny patterns that doesn't look like much until you add the fill at the end, and then it pops. I'd love to see what you do with the pattern! :-)

      Delete
  9. Emily, I love your tangle. I saw it featured in somebody's work on Facebook today, and just had to look it up. The title made me think of those "you are here" signs in the mall, but I thought, no, it doesn't look like that. Then I realized it really is like that, because those diagrams never really tell you where you are anyway! Let me also say right now that I love your tiara! I've been admiring it on all your posts on the Square One board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! That's how I thought of the name. I was picturing chaos, being lost, and those maps that I can never read anyway. :-) That tiara seems to be my claim to fame. It was from my bridal shower.

      Delete
  10. Hi Emily, I've bounced over here from TanglePatterns.com Linda Farmer re-featured YAH today in her Tangle Refresher 111. I really like the look of YAH and hope to be using it in the very near future. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! I still love this pattern. I think it doesn't look like much until you add the fill, but then it really has a special "wow" moment. I'd love to see what you create with it. :-)

      Delete
  11. I'm new to Tangling but love it already. I've bought multiple books and of course the official tangle list. I'm a bit OCD and a lot ADHD. I was diagnosed late in life and meds help but not cure. Tangles have done almost as much the meds have. Anyway, your YAH tangle is in my top 5 favorite...one reason, I love the way it looks and second bc of your post along with it. Just wanted to share my thanks for YAH and gratitude for another tool to help my "abnormal" brain become closer to normal. :)

    ReplyDelete