MomZenArtist on Instagram

Monday, October 15, 2012

Diva challenge 91: beads of courage

This week's Diva challenge was to create a beads in honor of the Beads of Courage organization.  In children's hospitals, children with serious and chronic illness participate in this program by stringing a bead for each milestone reached and for bravery through medical experiences.  I've known several children with chronic illnesses, and I think this is a wonderful project to help inspire hop, creativity, and distraction.  Every bead tells a story, just like every line in a tangle pattern.  Thank you to the Diva for such a special challenge this week!

I've been facing my own challenge this week recovering from my gall bladder surgery.  It went well, but the recovery is taking longer than I would like.  Yes, I am better each day, but I'm still in a lot of pain and unable to do the things that I want, or think I should be able, to do.  I guess there's never a good time for a health issue to pop up, and I should be thankful that this is a temporary inconvenience that will result in longer term health improvement.

I haven't been able to tangle much this week due to pain, fatigue, and pain medicine.  Today was the first time I felt like I could actually create something.  It's not my favorite piece, but I enjoyed the process, being able to complete it, and picking up a pen again.  I chose to create my beads along a string.  I started with the bead shapes and then filled them in with different tangle patterns.  It was a fun challenge to think of so many patterns to use in small spaces.  I knew I wanted to have a lot of beads, so this piece is done on 5x7" watercolor paper.  I didn't enjoy using this paper as much as the official Zentangle® tiles, but I like the larger feel for this piece.



Sitting here at my computer to scan and to post this entry is the most active thing I've done in days.  I'm exhausted but happy that I was able to play along with this week's tangle challenge.  There's hope that I'll be feeling better.  I'm going to frame this string of beads as a reminder of my minor challenge this week and my ability to overcome it.  I hope the tangled beads will help inspire some children to feel better during their trials and personal challenges.

I used to have a jewelry business, and I still have a lot of leftover beads.  When I'm up to it, I'm going to sort through my stash and the Beads of Courage requirements to see if I have items to donate.  I'm so thrilled to have learned about this organization so I can pass on my beads to a worthy cause.

I feel fortunate to have Zentangle® to help me through difficult times in life.  This practice has been a meaningful diversion and relaxation tool in a variety of ways.  Maybe each tile is like my own personal bead along my tangled cord of life.

11 comments:

  1. I love your bead work! It is gorgeous. I hope your recovery moves fast so you can be back to your normal routines soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is wonderful, and i hope that some of your leftover stash meets the donation requirements.

    take it easy, i had my gall bladder removed as well. wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily you have created a sensational collection of threaded beans. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very elegant strand of beads! best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're feeling better soon... and your beads look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beads are lovely, hope you're energy returns soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really lovely. I think it should be your own bead bracelet that takes you through the pain of your surgery. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally exquisite!! Get well soon, I had my GB taken out years ago so understand what you're going through. But it's a relief to know you won't be going through that excruciating pain anymore once you're over this initial recovery period. All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you feel better soon. Your beads are really lovely and so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please accept my best wishes and prayers for your speedy recovery from your surgery. Your string of beads is lovely, and I'm glad you found the energy to participate. Hugs; Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tile, so many lovely beads.

    ReplyDelete