MomZenArtist on Instagram

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A Zendala Holiday

Merry Christmas!

I hope you're having a lovely holiday with fun, friends, and family.  As the holiday season can bring along its share of stress (yes in the form of fun, friends, and family), Zentangle® might be a welcome relief!  Give yourself a few minutes to unwind while creating some beautiful artwork.

Santa was very good to me this year because he brought me a set of Tombow markers and a set of Mandala stencils from Genevieve Crabe.  :-)

I've mostly worked with the pre-strung round tiles by Zentangle with an occasional free-form piece on one of the blank tiles.  I've taken a Mandala class before and could pull out a ruler and other tools, but I haven't had the patience.  I know, I know, Zentangle is not about rushing.  If something is an obstacle, however, it can interfere with my actually creating.  Thanks to Genevieve's stencils, I feel like I can create Zendala strings on my own that enhance my Zentangle experience!  Yippee!

I drew my dots and let my Micron pen fill in the shapes.  I was surprised by the fact that I wasn't obsessed with lines that weren't straight or perfectly curved.  Zentangle art is handmade art!  I knew that once I filled in the spaces with tangle patterns it wouldn't matter if some were a bit off.

I realize now that I should have scanned my tile before filling in the tangles, but I was so excited I couldn't stop myself.  I enjoyed the entire process from the string to tangles to shading.

Here is the end result for my first official Zendala that I created:






1 comment:

  1. This is lovely. I am very intrigued with your Zendala. It looks so balanced and inviting. I want to go there.

    ReplyDelete