MomZenArtist on Instagram

Saturday, December 22, 2012

(Book)Marked experiments

I'm participating in a "Worldwide Zentangle Bookmark Swap" through Facebook with approximately 80 other tanglers this December.

I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do, so I experimented with a few things.

First I tried tangling on a paint sample card that I had planned to trim down to a bookmark size.  The Micron pen was far too slippery on the glossy card so my ink smeared in places.  The pen didn't show up as well on the orange areas and was very dark in the white divider spaces.  If I try this again, I'll certainly use a different pen or try to find a paint sample that isn't so glossy.  I liked the color gradation though.  Here was my bookmark attempt #1:


Back to the tangling board!

Next I thought of working on a large piece of paper to create a ZIA (Zentangle Inspired Art) piece that I'd cut into several strips.  I started it but didn't get too far before I lost my inspiration a bit after my colorful paint strip didn't work out.

Then I remembered that I had been experimenting with the watercolor/salt background technique that I had learned from fellow CZT Suzanne Binnie and thought I'd try it with my Twinkling H2Os.  I tested out the colors and the technique on small scraps of watercolor paper and left them to dry.  I thought the colors looked cool, but then I forgot about them.

Wait, why don't I make bookmarks out of my painted scraps?!?!?!  They were the perfect size for bookmarks.  I created one large tangled strip over the green/brown shimmery background.  I had so much fun, I did this all in one sitting.  I cut the piece in two and made two bookmarks.  I remembered to tangle on the back side of one before laminating.  Oops.

I love how they came out, but I should have scanned before laminating.  Note to self for next time!  I finished them off with some funky ribbons from my scrapbooking supplies.

Now I can't decide if I should send one or both.  I like them so much I just might have to keep one for myself.  :-)  Here they are:







No comments:

Post a Comment