MomZenArtist on Instagram

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Man! I Feel Like an Artist

Erin gave us a wonderful Zendala challenge at Bright Owl this week and a thoughtful post about how Zentangle® makes us feel like true artists.  After reading her post, I can't stop hearing Shania Twain's song, Man, I Feel Like a Woman so here's my rendition Zentangle style:



Man! I Feel Like an Artist by Emily Classon, CZT 9
Parody of Man! I feel Like a Woman by Shania Twain

I’m gonna tangle now-Knowin’ I know how
Gonna get my Micron out
Wanna make some art—really use my heart
Yeah, I can create no doubt
No inhibitions-make no conditions
Start with a little line
I ain’t gonna worry about the end result
I only wanna have a Zen time

The best thing about being an artist
Is the prerogative to have a little fun

Oh, oh, oh, go totally crazy-forget the eraser
Printemps—Cadent
Oh, oh, oh, really go wild-yeah, drawin’ with style
Oh, oh, oh, get in the action-feel relaxation
Color my tile-do what I dare
Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free-yeah, to draw the way I feel
Man!  I feel like an artist!

It’s just a small tile-no worries for a mile
The chance to draw, color, and play
We don’t need much time-we don’t need much space
We’re gonna tangle worries away

The best thing about being an artist
Is the prerogative to have a little fun

Oh, oh, oh, thanks Rick and Maria-I have lots of ideas
Betweed-Ennies
Oh, oh, oh, really go wild-yeah, tanglin’ my tile
Oh, oh, oh, with border and string-I can draw anything
Stay in the lines—though not confined
Oh, oh, oh, tangle with me-yeah, to feel the way I feel
Man! I feel like an artist!

The best thing about being an artist
Is the prerogative to have a little fun (fun, fun)

Oh, oh, oh, go totally crazy-forget the eraser
Printemps—Cadent
Oh, oh, oh, really go wild-yeah, drawin’ with style
Oh, oh, oh, get in the action-feel relaxation
Color my tile-do what I dare
Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free-yeah, to draw the way I feel
Man!  I feel like an artist!

I owe such a debt of gratitude to Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas.  Learning the Zentangle® method and becoming a CZT have been life-changing for me.  I've always felt crafty, but now, thanks to them, I truly feel like an artist--so much so that I'm submitting my original art for consideration for different publications and creating public art displays like this one at the Tewksbury Public Library:


In addition, I'm more relaxed, I'm more focused, and I have a calmer approach to everything I do.  Friends, family, and coworkers have commented that I am different thanks to my Zentangle practice.  I'm even losing weight because I'd rather pick up a Micron than a snack to relax.  I don't think there's a single aspect of my life that hasn't been touched by Zentangle.  Thank you, Rick and Maria!

I'd also like to extend my appreciation to a few other special people who have helped me along my artistic journey to date:
  • My dear friend and CZT Toni Henneman (Artist in Wonderland) for introducing me to the world of Zentangle art.
  • CZT Susan Smith for inspiring me with her classes 
  • CZT Cris Letourneau for allowing me to contribute to and help with her amazing new book, Made in the Shade: A Zentangle Workbook.  This book has awakened my passion for shading!
  • My fellow tanglers and CZT IX for the wonderful training and bonding experience.
  • CZT Laura Harms, aka I am the Diva, for her weekly Zentangle challenges.  I have learned many new patterns while stretching my creativity each week.
  • CZT Erin Olson at The Bright Owl for her creative weekly Zendala challenges.
  • All of the CZTs and fellow tanglers I've "met" online.  The ideas, inspiration, tips, and support have been wonderful.
  • My students for teaching me something new each time and for allowing me to share my passion.
  • My loving husband, my darling daughter, and my mother for their unending support, babysitting during my CZT training, and my constant discussion about tangling.  :-)  
  • Thank you to everyone for your support and comments throughout my creative and blogging adventure.  I'm pleased that my words have been beneficial to someone else.
If you're still reading this epic post, here's my Bright Owl Zendala Dare for the week.  I LOVE this template and had an amazing time with it.  I started with Flukes on the outside.  At first I thought the lines were too close together, but I like the small, detailed look it had.  Erin challenged us to use patterns that make us feel like artists.  For me, lately, that's been Flux and Paradox.  I was stunned by how flowery and pretty Flux came out in the center.  It was so delicate that I didn't want to surround it with anything.  Erin's beautiful Zendala was an homage to Zinger, so I threw a few of those in for a pop of dimension and color.  I wrapped it up with some Paradox and shading for what has to be one of my favorite pieces ever.

Since I'm still working on the suns for my daughter, I added a little pop of sunshine into the Zinger "flowers" so this is sun # 4.



15 comments:

  1. This is fantastic, I love it. That tiny touch of yellow was perfect. The outside pattern gives it a nice solid feel to hold up the lovely insides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cat! I'm impressed that you made it through that post to find the hidden Zendala. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous, emily! and i like the little touch of color on your zingers - so delicate! i'm glad we are able to make this zentangle journey together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful dala! i also liked your story! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning! So organic in the center and then all of a sudden Paradox. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful Emily! I love how you used flux in the center. I also relate to your feelings regarding zentangle. It truly is a gift, and has brought many blessings to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very beautiful. Espacialy the middle flower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful. The flux is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just Lovely! I want you to know I sang "I feel like an Artist!" I'm so glad I am the only one home LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my what a wonderful tribute this blog is to Zentangle! You make me so happy just to be a part of it. (And I love your words to "I feel like an Artist" - I'm going to print this out and put it in my Zentangle portfolio as a reminder.) Lovely Zendala, especially your flux with zingers! I do love the lightness in the centre then getting more complex and darker by the outer ring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is realy great. Your not only a Zentangle Artist, your also a word artist. By changing that song into a zentangle song. Great. I love your flux center. It is very delicate and very organic. Great :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The song, your sentiments and your zendala are ALL beautiful! Wonderful job. Your zendala is so nicely balanced. I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like the parody of the song. Nice job on the Zendala also. Like the openness of the middle with the more detailed outer borders.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful sentiments. Beautiful post. Thank you for helping me with the book :=)

    ReplyDelete