MomZenArtist on Instagram

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Some Sun for a Snowy Day

As I look outside at the 2+ feet of snow, I think it's a good day for some sunshine.

I haven't been able to post for a few days while my daughter had her surgery.  Despite a few bumps in the road, she did great.  We're so happy to be home while she recovers, and we're especially glad we got out of the hospital before the storm hit.  We would have been snowed in!  Thank you to everyone for the kind comments and support during this stressful time.

Here is my final installation in the sun series for my daughter.  Having my Zentangle® art is a lifesaver for me, and this week, it really was!  Even though we knew everything would be fine, it's still hard to see such a cute little one so upset and scared.  I'm glad that I gave myself this sun project to keep up my spirits and to help keep me focused.  I love how the Zentangle method takes the pressure off by not having to know the end result of a piece.  We can just take it "one stroke at a time."®  I gave myself a theme for the week to help take a little more pressure off and to help motivate me with some color and purpose.  It really helped.

This is a pre-strung Zendala tile with narrow sections.  I wasn't sure what to do with this one, so I challenged myself to figure it out.  I've been hooked on my Splendor inks this week.  I inked the tile in sunny colors and then tangled over the top.  I'm thinking that a very juicy pen over the ink may have contributed to a bit of bleeding, but it worked out in the long run.  I actually prefer pens that aren't as juicy because they're a bit more forgiving.  I've been known to use my Microns until the color/number on the end of the lid are long faded away.  These pens really last!

This string was a bit tricky to figure out, so I picked the inner section and started with some Diva Dance.  It was interesting to do it in a narrow section, and I was pleased with how it came out.  I loved the contrast with the "white" space in the adjacent coil, so I knew I'd leave that empty and let the sunshine be free.  I moved on to the long streamer areas with some Purk, Zander, Flux, and Bunzo.  There's some modified XYP in the outer border.  It can be a challenge for me to come up with ideas for border areas, but I love a challenge!  This tile was a lot of fun to shade.  Many of my patterns were detailed, and in the tiny spaces, they look even more detailed.  I think the shading helps to define the different swirls and areas.  What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. This one is beautiful! So glad that everything went well with your daughter. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out beautifully. And we need sunshine this time of year, especially after the storm we went through here.

    ReplyDelete