MomZenArtist on Instagram

Friday, March 15, 2013

It's a Bumpy Ride!

Sometimes life can be a bumpy ride with ups, downs, and potholes.  How do you handle the journey?  Do you enjoy the adventure?  Do you worry about how long it takes or each detour?

This week's Diva challenge was to use Rick and Maria's new, unnamed technique of adding bumps to the string.  It's a very cool look and was a lot of fun to do.

It took me a while to figure this one out and then to get it scanned and online, but that's ok.  The ride was still worth it for me.  :-)

My tip for using this technique is to fill in the bands a section at a time.  When I added Bales, for example, I worked on the flat sections first and then did the bumped ares.  I did the same thing for each piece thinking that if this were fabric or fondant, the image would be skewed a bit and wouldn't flow directly from the flat part up over the bumps.  I think that gave the technique more dimension and made the bumped areas stand out more.

I also think that some heavy shading on each side of the bumps adds to the effect.  I used a sharp pencil for this.

I'm pretty thrilled with out this tile came out.  I love trying new things along my Zentangle® journey.

Rick and Maria are looking for names for this new technique.  My suggestions were:  Speedbumps, Bumpers, or Croquet.


8 comments:

  1. This is very pretty. You're got the 3D effect down. I need to practice this technique a little more. Thanks for the hints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your composition is wonderful, love how it flows off the page. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-soooo-cool! Emily, I want some fabric printed with your tangles! I especially love how you paired cockles-and-mussels with the new technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too love the lush,fabric look, and the beautiful dimesional shading.Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tile Emily, thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, I love this! The dimension is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete