MomZenArtist on Instagram

Friday, May 24, 2013

Christmas in May!

I love when a new box of art supplies comes to my door.  It's like Christmas pretty regularly around here.  Even when it's an order of books or Zentangle supplies to sell in my classes, it's always fun to receive inspiring new items.

The latest box contained goodies just for me!  I ordered a set of the new Tombow Irojiten colored pencils.  They are attractively packaged in little boxes.  Like most new things, ranging from craft supplies to clothes, I typically admire them and don't want to use them.  Sometimes I like the newness to remain, and sometimes I'm a little hesitant to jump in.

Why is that?  Do kids hesitate to rip open a box with a prized new toy inside?  Well, maybe with all of the fasteners used to keep toys permanently attached to packaging, but that's not quite the same.  :-)  Kids would likely devour the packaging if it meant being able to get to the toy goodness inside.  Toddlers, would squeal for the packaging itself!  As an adult, I hesitate.

The good news is it took less than an hour for me to crack open the box, pull out a pencil, and start tangling!  I bolstered up a little creative bravery by posting about my new acquisition with my fellow CZTs.

I've only used ten of the thirty pencils in this set, but so far, I like how they glide across the tile.  I used the fluorescence set (vol. 7).  Upon initial experimentation, I think they color more smoothly than the Prismacolor pencils, but I think the Prismacolors are more saturated and have a better fill.  It will be fun to explore with my new pencils more.

Here is my first piece with the Irojitens on a pre-strung black Zendala tile.  I have to play with scanning these darker tiles a bit more because it took a fair amount of editing to get the colors to be remotely close to what I see in person.  The pencil is a bit shimmery in person which is lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment