MomZenArtist on Instagram

Thursday, May 23, 2013

It Isn't Always Black and White

Well, for this week's Diva challenge, it is.

The Diva, inspired by Rick and Maria's "Ebony and Ivory" pieces at Blog Zentangle, challenged us to create pieces with an equal balance of black and white areas or patterns.

For my first piece, I drew four diagonal lines for my string and filled every other section with a thicker black Micron pen.  Next I tangled some of the black on white areas, pausing to add some white on black in the adjacent sections.  I noticed that all of the patterns I had started to use began with the letter "B" so I kept going in that fashion.  This tile features the following patterns:  Betweed, Bunzo, Beadlines, Batch, Bluebonnets, Bubbles, Buttercup, Block'd, and Binial.  I love how Bubbles, by Suzanne McNeill CZT, can look like SpaghettiOs!


I wanted to work on a second piece without pre-coloring my tile.  I basically used two patterns and love how my little Sand Swirls (by Karry Heun) are trumpeting Mooka!


This was a very fun challenge that appealed to my interest in balance and light and dark.  The first piece was a bit tricky to think about as I had white on black on white.  I think I prefer to use the white pens on black tiles, but this was an interesting idea to try.

9 comments:

  1. Oh how fun!!!!! I really like your tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both tiles are lovely, but the second one just really speaks to me. Love the black mooka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one is a beautiful example of how the balance of ebony and ivory can be so enriching! I especially love the second tile and the freedom it has in its movement! I think you enjoyed doing this on the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why yes, yes I did! I had fun playing with the first one, but it felt weird to build up the black just to add white. I had a blast with the second one. I think I did that tile in about 5 minutes!

      Delete
  4. I also filled in sections with a bolder Micron before I started tangling. I like that effect but I think it easier to achieve a smoother looker with what you did with the second one. Both look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I like doing black on white on a black tile, but I didn't so much enjoy white on black on a white tile. Go figure. Maybe it's the way the pens flow and cover the surface. That said, it's always fun to experiment!

      Delete
  5. You certainly did have fun with this challenge. Great experimentation on tile #1. And I love the movement and flow of tile #2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like some others, my favorite is teh second one. Lovely free and flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tiles, and I liked reading about your process. It's fun to use only tangles starting with the same letter ... I do like your first tile and seeing all the different tangles, but I love the simplicity and yet boldness of the second one - it's very eye catching!

    ReplyDelete