MomZenArtist on Instagram

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Art of Sport

Do you ever feel unsure when you're facing a new challenge?  As I read this week's Diva challenge, I had NO clue what I would create.  The task was to create art using new patterns or patterns that we think are new.  Well, that threw me.

Would it still feel zen?  Would I get stuck trying to think of something new?  Would I miss drawing my favorite patterns or learning other ones?  What if I couldn't think of anything?

I've only created two patterns to date.  I enjoy working with official Zentangle® patterns as well as the amazing creations by CZTs and tanglers worldwide.  I love finding patterns in the world, but I don't typically find myself drawn to deconstructing them.  I guess I leave that to other creative minds to uncover.

Fortunately, I had already created a string of sorts inspired by the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.  I used a Zendala tile and had created the spoked B.  While watching game 3 of the Final, I filled in a variety of hockey-inspired shapes.  I started filling the outer rim with sticks, the Bruins' B with pucks, and the center of the B with nets (Blackhawks', of course!).  I needed something to fill the spokes, and thought the Stanley Cup was the only image missing (not for long!).

I couldn't leave the tile without some Bruins' gold.  I used my Tombow markers to color in the yellow areas and to color the outer rim black.  I used a thicker Micron for the B before realizing I had a black Tombow marker.

This project was a lot of fun, and even better, the Bruins won game 3!  I like to think that my zen focus transferred to the game.

Inspiration can come from anywhere.  If you feel stuck, look around or think about the things you enjoy.  You just might find an idea in a place you'd least suspect.

Go Bruins!


13 comments:

  1. Very creative! You took this challenge above and beyond. Thanks for the Zen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I had way too much fun with this one.

      Delete
  2. This is so clever! Your Stanley Cup pattern is great. But...I sure hope Chicago wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the winning team. :-) They are pretty evenly matched, but it may come down to which team wants it more.

      Delete
  3. Nice Bruins logo. Are you going to submit it to the team?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very original and I love the combination of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing what direction inspiration will come from, and you have been so creative with this one. I like it very, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea - ice hockey isn't big in the UK but we did get to see our first full game in Las Vegas last year. It was so fast!! We didn't know where to look next, except when a fight kicked off in the crowd between two women!! Quite an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the border.....the B turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks and sounds like you had fun doing this in the end! Terrific new logo! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete