MomZenArtist on Instagram

Friday, August 8, 2014

Good Things Come in Small Packages

I am loving the new addition to the Zentangle® family--Bijou!  In addition to his lovely story, he offers a fun tin of tiny tiles.  They are 2 inch squares of the same paper as the larger tiles, and they are so fun to play with!  They're great for monotangles, creating a smaller reproduction of a larger tile, letters, and more.

I especially love Bijou's reminders to slow down, breathe, and relax.  I've been feeling a little stressed this week, and I really need a kind little snail on my shoulder to remind me about these simple things I can do to improve my life and my art.


For this week's Diva challenge, I created a mini mosaic Zendala with four Bijou tiles.  I lined them up and then loosely drew a Zendala design.  I didn't grab a ruler or stencils.  I breathed and let the shapes form.  It's okay that they don't all line up perfectly.  It was quite freeing to just guess where a line might go and to let it evolve as it did.  I pictured Bijou gliding across my tiles, changing his mind slightly, then wiggling back on his original course when my pen skipped a bit.  Pens, like snails, don't always follow a straight path, right?

I enjoyed filling in my shapes with different tangles and adding some shading.  The process was relaxing and inspiring.  I realized that I never color the tadpole-like blobs in Ennies and thought I'd see how they came out.  I really like the contrast of the bold shapes against the gentle orbs in the center.

Thanks, Bijou, for reminding me to take a little break for myself.  I needed it.

10 comments:

  1. Love your mosaic using the Bijou tiles! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the negative space between the tiles forms a kind of compass design with the star points. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did a great job, emily. i'm feeling a little challenged by the tininess of the whole bijou thing. i like how you made a mosaic. so much more workable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your tiles and your though process on doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love how you created a mandala with your tiles. Super fun design and I love the fescu around the edges!
    Minette
    ----
    Minette Riordan, Ph.D.
    CEO, MinetteRiordan.com

    Ready for some creative ways to relieve stress?
    Free 8-week course: Let the Crayons out of the Box!
    www.minetteriordan.com/relieve-stress

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice ensemble, Had not really thought about it before I saw a couple of things here that these tiles do make a nice size for ensembles. Would be an interesting class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much fun! I love the thoughtfulness you put into this challenge and the result is pure delight! Love your bijou tiles!

    Happy tangling,

    Jacque Solomon
    www.tanglebright.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet! You've created a lovely piece here. I like how much care and precision you put into each tile. Your nzeppel especially just wows me!

    ReplyDelete