MomZenArtist on Instagram

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Pops of Color

Maybe it's the grayness of winter in New England, but I find myself really drawn (ha!) to this colorful gem technique.  I love tangling my tiles and adding colored pencil or marker and watching the gems come to life with highlights and dimension.  These little pops of color make me smile!

Here are some ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) that I created for a tangled gem swap with fellow artists.  For these pieces, I used Strathmore Bristol ATCs with a nice, smooth surface that worked well with the gems.  The gems were all colored with Prismacolor pencils.  
When I'm working on a color combination, I'm finding myself going through all of my pencils looking for a good mix of light and dark colors.  I used a blank Prismacolor chart, similar to this one, to help me see the colors at a glance.  It's been very helpful!

I wanted to share the first gem where I felt like I "got it" in my sketchbook.  I was elated when I was able to create such a colorful and fun look.  I think this technique takes a little practice, but it is so worth it!  The tools really make a difference too.  I still can't decide if I prefer pencils or markers, but who says I have to decide?  It's fun to play with both!

No comments:

Post a Comment