MomZenArtist on Instagram

Monday, December 3, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like a Diva challenge

Do you hate Mondays?

If you did the weekly Diva challenge, you'd learn to love the work week kickoff!  As the first Monday of the month, we were tasked with a UMT (Use My Tangle) challenge to use a pattern created by a fellow tangler.  This week's UMT features Keenees by Donna Hornsby CZT.  Though not actually inspired by bikinis, these little orbs offer some tangling tushie fun.  :-)

I'm still on my stencil kick prepping for my holiday card class, so I started with a stenciled tree created with my Cricut machine.  I thought Keenees might make a fun tree garland so I started there with my red Micron.  Next, I filled in the rest of the tree with green Shattuck, Finery, and Verdigogh because these patterns reminded me of pine needles.  I needed a star on top and opted for Fengle with a gold gelly roll pen with some fine black orbs inside.  I used sepia on the W2 tree trunk.

I've found that I don't like shading with my regular pencil when I use colored pens in my tangling.  I think the gray is too stark for some reason.  I tried shading with my Inktense pencils this time using green, brown, red, and yellow for some highlights or shadows.  These pencils didn't smudge as well as I had hoped they would--probably because they're made of ink.  I may have to invest in some other colored pencils for shading.  I like how the Keenees garland looks when shaded though.  The scan makes the green pencil more yellow, but I think it's still pretty cool.  I love how Shattuck and Finery almost look made for each other!

Fengle is one of my favorites, but I don't think I liked it as much with the gelly roll pen.  I couldn't get the same level of detail, but I think it's still pretty cool.

This was a fun one to do on a bonus day off while my daughter was in school.  I could take my time with all of the tree-like strokes, and I thoroughly enjoyed the process.  

So would this qualify as an Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Red and Green Keenee Treenee?




8 comments:

  1. Lovely tree and superb ornament! love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So would this qualify as an Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Red and Green Keenee Treenee?" - ABOSOLUTELY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cute Keenees Christmas tree, charming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful Christmas tree, everyone will like a card like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tree and the keenee garland is darling. Beautiful and sweet.

    ReplyDelete