MomZenArtist on Instagram

Friday, September 20, 2013

In the Night Garden

One of my daughter's favorite TV shows is In The Night Garden.  It's a gentle, colorful, and dreamy show about a handful of doll-like characters having little adventures then drifting off to sleep.  The show starts and ends with a boat under a starry sky along plinky yet pretty music.

While tangling for my Tangled Garden class for this weekend, I thought it would be fun to make a larger garden on a 9x12 inch sheet of paper.  I often work on the beautiful toned papers, but when I reached for my paper pads, I accidentally grabbed the black paper.  Well, that was certainly a happy accident!

I loved watching my night garden blossom in the moonlight.  I explored about sixteen different patterns in this ZIA.  After tangling and finding a few new favorite patterns, I shaded and added some color.  I shaded with both a white charcoal pencil and the new Zenstone from Zentangle (yes, I have these in stock!).  I enjoyed having two different levels of shading so to speak.  The Zenstone provided a smooth, ghostly shade.  The stone feels good to hold too.  It's cool and has a nice weight.

Of course I needed some sparkle too to reflect the moonlight!

Welcome to my night garden....


4 comments:

  1. So many things to love about this beautiful garden...wow. Antidots has always been one of my favorites to draw... I don't see it out there much but I love the way it looks. And your verdigogh is gorgeous. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! I wonder if Antidots isn't used as much since its similar in look to Bunzo. I like Antidots in my gardens and Zendalas.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this, Emily! So striking, so different! I'm anxious to try it, and I think it is a GREAT addition to Tangled Garden classes. Stroke of genius. What's your fave white pen? I don't love the Gelly Roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I use the Gelly Roll and have learned to accept it for what it is.

      Delete